Friday, November 12, 2010

D. and Math110

Let me tell you about a guy named D.

He's autistic, super smart, and unintentionally funny!

One time my math teacher was telling the class that he would bet $100 on his answer. D, voice full of shock said, "But, Brother P, we're Mormon! We aren't SUPPOSED to gamble. And I think you as a Professor at BYU-I should know that!" The class busted up laughing and the teacher took a full ten minutes explaining how betting and gambling are actually two different things. The joke was carried on for days!

Another time Brother P. was likening taking the number out of the square root like two people breaking out of jail and one of them getting zapped by the electric wire. He then leaned over to D. and said, "Please don't tell President Clark I'm teaching you guys how to break out of jail." the class chuckled and D. said, "I'm pretty sure if I wasn't autistic I would be laughing too!" And then he actually started laughing too even though he didn't know why.

However, one guy (I'll blame it on the fact that it was Monday and he was probably having a bad day because usually none of us have a problem with D. thinking out loud.) told D. to be quiet when he was asking Brother P. a question. The class got really quiet and D. was obviously upset. And so was Brother P. He nearly cried as he told the class how he believed that it was a miracle that D. was there at all and how he very much appreciated him and his mind, and if anyone had any problems to come see him privately.

I personally think Brother P. is a genius at handling D. Left alone D. would talk non-stop and act like the only kid in class. Brother P. gives him just enough attention to make him feel valued and D. won't continue talking when Brother P. isn't giving him his undivided attention. Does D. get more attention than the rest of us? Sure. But like I said, he's smart, and he's helped me understand a few things every now and then so he's not wasting the classes time at all. And the fact that he's not afraid to voice what the rest of us are thinking is a blessing. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment