Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Just because you've never done it before doesn't mean you'll never be able to

New life decision! In addition to my life goals of being a mom, author, and physical therapy assistant I'm going to be a tri-athlete! And someday, I'd like to run in the Boston Marathon.

I know that seems a bit much, but all this cardio over the past month has got me thinking...I like being competitive. I like the conditioning and the goal making and the promise of a competition at the end. So why not?

I was talking about this with a friend of mine at work and the guy sitting next to us over-heard the whole thing...coincidences of coincidences he's actually run in the Boston Marathon, was wearing the jacket to prove it, and was planning on trying out for the Olympics. Hello!

In other news I have a couple of goals for this winter. Starting with a job shadow this Monday at a physical therapy clinic where I plan to make myself as marketable as possible and then maybe land a job that I could keep year round at school. Also, I'm going to research the publishing process religiously and see if I can't get an article in a few magazines, maybe land an agent and a book deal. Probably not this year, but I have to start sometime.

Sigh, so many dreams, so little time. Maybe I'm going to have to postpone my learning to play the violin/piano, skydiving, scuba diving, and Europe tour goals? I may seem like a bit of a dreamer, but my attitude has always been and probably always will be...well...why not? Just a bit of motivation and maybe a little cash and you're golden. Life is meant to be an adventure and I fully intend to live it even with all its faults and disappointments. That's part of what makes it exciting. There's always something that can be worked towards and talents that can be perfected and obstacles to overcome.

Speaking of which here's Obstacles I've recently overcome that are responsible for my current happy mood:

The idea that my body image has anything to do with my relationships with people. The truth is that people are attracted to personality, not curves (or extreme excess of them) And as long as I'm truly happy with myself nothing else matters.

The lie that I'm a horrible person that no one likes me because I've done x,y, and z. The past is the past. If I was perfect I'd be God. All I have control over is myself and I am pretty awesome and can live that way today and forever. Learn from history, but always move forward, not backward.

I can't run or do things because I'm not enough whatever...well guess what...I can RUN!! Enough said.

Healthy food is gross and too much work. Reality check, I like healthy food and how it makes me feel and helps my body perform and I'm a pretty good cook too.

I'll never be able to publish. A whole semester of Creative Writing later and people saying awesome things about my work = a great confidence booster. Even the negative comments made me feel good about it. I guess that's because it shows me that they actually cared enough to think about it unlike in high school where I had this "good writer" stigma so no one even bothered to look over my stuff and just said, "It was good." Psh, heck yeah it was good, but it still bothered me that they didn't even read it.

Moral of the story? Life can be amazing if you just change your focus and perspective. Then all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment