Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thank You M

So this last weekend has been rough. I enlisted my brother-in-law, M, to help me edit my book. He had offered to do something similar at the beginning of the year for an e-mail version of a writing group. He's a writer too.

This was before I had done the second and the third drafts so I sent him the rough copy to look at. Naively thinking that it was already mostly perfect and that I wouldn't have to change much. But the cyber writing group never took off. Life and school took over again, and the corrected document was left floating in my e-mail for months.

This week I remembered it, and decided to take a look at what he had sent back. I've heard that writers are usually blind to their mistakes, but this is ridiculous. You'd think after so much time and effort that I'd maybe get just a few comments. Nope. The second page was blanketed in red correction boxes. Mostly for commas.

It just goes to show that four years ago I wasn't ready to be publishing anything just yet. But I am convinced that I'm ready now. Which is why I have asked him to look at it again. This time, I hope its a better version than the one he originally had to suffer through. Having gone through the book myself almost twice knowing what I know now, I feel his pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment